FRANK Talks: Am I a Libertarian?

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Am I a Libertarian?

Well, that depends on how you define "libertarian". I can already hear the collective groan among my audience. Especially those who know me personally, and my propensity to be a word-nerd. Nonetheless, it truly does depend on how you define the word. I want to give some of my thoughts on libertarianism.

On this blog, I have defended the philosophy of conservatism. I like what conservative icon Ronald Reagan said of libertarianism "I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism". The cental concept of libertarianism is liberty: hence the name. Liberty is the freedom to do what you want, so long as you don't infringe on the rights of others. I love liberty, and I believe that we need to conserve certain principles in order to maintain our liberty.

Libertarians are a broad and diverse group. They have a wide array of views on different issues, because they believe in freedom of thought. Because of their diversity, it is so difficult to find a group on unifying beliefs among them. Should abortion be legal? Should we have a police force? What about a justice system? What about a military? Should we have our own party, or should we join with the two major parties? I was inspired to write this blog by this video, which talks about 6 different kinds of libertarians.

Personally, I simplify them down to two categories: modern and classical libertarians. I do this for simplicity's sake, and it helps me to better determine if a self-proclaimed libertarian is an ally. For me there are two factors which separate the two groups. Firstly, do you believe that there is a legitimate function of the institution of government? Second, do you believe that personal virtue is important among citizens to maintain liberty?

If you answer yes to both questions, I would classify you as more of a classical libertarian, and an ally. If you answer no to both question, you are a mordern libertarian, and we have some serious disagreements. (This does not necessarily mean that we can't be allies.)

Our founders are what I would consider classical libertarians. They believed that in order to maintain liberty, you need an appointed institution to dispense justice. Many of them were Christians, and believed that this institution was ordained by God, but could be kept in check by people.

They wrote the Constitution as a contract to limit the government, thereby maximizing the freedom of the citizens. Your freedom only ceases at the rights of others. Personally, I think that the idea of this contract is that if they keep up their end of the bargain, we the people will keep our end. If they break the contract, then we should rise up and replace them.

Our founders also believed in personal virtue, and self-sacrifice. Sometimes we give up the things that we want right now, in order to better ourselves and the community. Self-interest is fine, but self-sacrifice is also noble. It brings about human flourishing (the pursuit of happiness). Virtue is about caring for others. Why would you care whether or not you violate someone else's rights, if you don't care about them? Or if you don't fear the consequences. If everyone was virtuous, if they cared about their fellow-man, we wouldn't need to worry about them violating each other's rights.

It is in the best interest of liberty, and small government, to more people who are as virtuous as possible.

In Summary

Libertarians are those who believe in liberty. Some believe that this is best acheived by throwing off all government, and no longer imposing any standard of virtue. I believe that teaching citizens to be as virtuous as possible* and by maintaining and small and limited government, we can have the purest form of liberty anywhere in the world.

This limited government is given to us in the Constitution. We must maintain a conservative interpretation of the government, to keep those in power from overstepping their bounds. This is why I am a conservative, and I believe conservatism is best for libertarianism.



If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals — if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.”― Ronald Reagan


*Personally I advocate Christianity and Christian ethics as the most virtuous way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment