FRANK Talks: Two Tips For Productive Holistic Living

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Two Tips For Productive Holistic Living

For the past five years, I've been interested in this concept of improving personally in a well-rounded way. In fact, last year, I created an entire blog founded on this theme. I was inspired by many real and fictional characters who excelled physically, intellectually, and in other areas as well. My life goal is to strive for excellence, and be well-rounded.

I was inspired by a line from the movie "Limitless", talking about being "the perfect version of yourself". Can you imagine what that would be like? Well, maybe not perfect, but if you could live your dream life. What would that look like? Now some of the things that we dream about, may be things that we can't change. But what can you change? What are some things in your life that you wish were better in your life?

I am of the firm belief that the key to this excellence is well-roundedness. If you focus too much on one area (say intellect) you can burn yourself out. You burn yourself out by neglecting your health and social life. Conversely, improving your health can improve your brain. Working out and staying healthy is one way to raise your IQ.

I clearly have not arrived at my life goal (for those who know me personally), but let me pass along two tips that have helped me, from heroes of mine who have made it.

One bite at a time

When looking at your dreams and what it takes to be well-rounded, it can be overwhelming. How can you take on these gargantuan tasks? I would propose that you do so, in the same way that one would eat an elephant: one bite at a time. Start with a smaller goal and work your way up to where you want to be.

In my personal experience, the health arena has always been the worst for me, but I'm making real strides. All through college I ate terrible foods and did the minimum amount of exercise. However, in the past year, I've seen my eating habits improve immensely, through small, seemingly insignificant changes in my diet. First, slowly switching out all the soda that I drank with water (to the point where I now drink water almost exclusively). Overall meals have improved (although not by my doing), and I've made conscious efforts to cut down on snack foods. All this stuff happened a little at a time.

Normal or Successful

"Listen kid, you can either be normal or be successful." You simply can't be both. If you want to get ahead and feel the satisfaction of achievement, you will need to do things that others aren't doing. We are wired with a natural inclination to be normal, to fit in. Children have the inherent ability and desire to imitate those around them. They learn through imitation. Then we grow up, and we have this strong desire to be cool or relatively normal. Even in this "hipster", "self-aware" generation, they may stray from normal a bit, but never too far.

However, it is this straying from the beaten path that often breeds success. Not always. Sometimes you stray off the path and get stuck in the mud. Stray from the path with wisdom.

If you want to be successful academically (intellectually), you need to study. It's probably a no-brainer for most of my readers. However, in my college experience, I have many classmates ask me how I get good grades. I watched these guys, and they are the same people that I see messing around instead of studying. Same thing with fitness: you need to put in the time and effort if you want to be fit.

One final example is with money and time. You need to budget and make a schedule. It's weird. It makes you feel like a nerd. Writing stuff out. Planning. God forbid that your friends hear that you do this kind of stuff. That mentality used to keep me from planning out my time. I had to get over it. I don't keep a rigid schedule, it's more of a loose to-do list and a list of goals, but planning that out has been the key to living the life that I want to live.

As far as budgeting, my parents used to have me do that from a young age. They'd give me an allowance for chores I did around the house, then they'd have me save some, give some away, and keep some to spend. When I grew up, it was just a matter of making my budget slightly more complicated. 

So what do you think?


So what do you think? Tweet at me @frank_perseo or comment on the Frank Talks Facebook page. Is this all elementary for you? Are these all things that you do? Any suggestions hit you particularly? Does the idea of living a balanced life interest you? Please tweet at me, or comment on the Facebook post. I want to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment