FRANK Talks: The Challenge

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Challenge

My interest in polymaths traces it's influence back to many characters, both fictional and historical. Maybe one of the earliest influences is Batman, the epitome of humanism and being all that you can be. Other fictional influences include Mr Terrific, Dr Samuel Beckett, Eddie Morra from Limitless, and a character that I created named Dr John Reyes. Historical influences included American President James A Garfield, King Solomon, and most of all Jesus.

I was inspired by their physical, intellectual, and sometimes spiritual excellence, and their success in multiple things. Clearly I have not attained to the level of my heroes. However, in this case it is not about the destination, but about the journey instead. On this journey I would like to invite as many friends with me as possible.

My challenge to you reader: pursue excellence in every arena that you can.

The first question

What are the arenas that you must grow in, to live a holistic human life? For me there are six areas of the human experience: spiritual, intellectual, physical, occupational, social, and financial. Even within those, there are sub-arenas and cross-sections. Two that come to mind being politics and art. Some may disagree with my model. An atheist reader may say that there is no "spiritual arena". Well, those people are wrong, but they have their right to be. (My definition for religion here is your world philosophy and the practice of you ethical philosophy.)

Second question

What arena comes easiest for you? Or which is the one you spend the most time on? For me it used to be either the intellectual or spiritual arena (or a cross section of the two). Today it probably still is in the intellect arena. I have spent a lot of time reading about (and writing here about) politics. You need to look at your strongest arena and look for ways to continue to cultivate it. I talk about well-roundness, but everyone has a sharp point, and that's OK.

Take time to sharpen yours. If you are a young person reading this, find a specific thing within that arena that you can make a living off of, and go pursue a career in that. If you are a little older, hopefully you've done that already. There is also life outside of a job, so you can also consider volunteering in something of that area.

Weak spot

Next, identify your weak spot. I had two when I started this journey: I was out of shape, and an task-oriented introvert. OK, maybe I still have those problems, but I have made great strides. I have a small group of friends that I am regularly in touch with, and I am making more conscious efforts to make more healthy choices.

You have to start by thinking: how do I want to improve in these areas? Maybe you don't do a lot of reading. You can start by doing a little at a time. After finishing high school, I started reading one book a month. OK, it only lasted for a month, but I picked that goal up again the next year and it stuck. Now I read all the time. Still not as much as I'd like to, but far more than I used to.

So figure out what arenas you are weak in. Then think of small ways that you can grow in those areas. Take small bites. A little at a time.

Get organized

If you haven't rolled your eyes at the whole idea of this challenge, this is normally the part where people begin to roll their eyes. If you want to succeed in this challenge, if you want to have progress, you need to get organized. You need to do difficult things. You need to do things that all your friends are not doing. I have said before "you can be either normal or successful, you can't be both."

If you want to get ahead financially, it will require you to curb your spending and save some for a rainy day (and invest it). You won't be spending as frivolously as your friends. They may laugh at you, but you will benefit from it in the end. If you want to be more productive, you may need to schedule your time, and be more strict with it. It may not be fun, others may chide you, but you will benefit.

If you want to grow in different arenas, you need to set goals in each one. You need to be specific with your goals, and you want to write them down. You probably have a strong desire to put off what I am saying. You don't feel like it. Maybe you know that you should do (and even want to do) some of the stuff that I am talking about. I was there once, and in one brief moment I decided to actually do the things I had been putting off. Little by little. I'm doing a little bit more all the time. I am so glad that I do. My life is so much fuller now than it was five years ago.


So, tell me what you think. Tweet at me @frank_perseo or like Frank Talks on Facebook, then comment on the post for this blog. Are you interested in this challenge? Is this the kind of thing you already do? Am I totally off my rocker? What did you take away from this?

No comments:

Post a Comment