FRANK Talks: Movies- Woodlawn

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Movies- Woodlawn




My preliminary thoughts after watching Woodlawn

Now I don't watch a lot of sports movies. I was reluctant to see this one. Many Christians have been accustomed to so-called "Christian films" having terrible quality. I went and saw this movie because the producers are my fellow alumni. I never even watched the trailer (which is rare for me, because I watch trailers for everything).

I am so used to cringing frequently in "Christian film", but ten minutes into the movie I realized that I hadn't cringed once. In fact, it was an interesting movie, which I had become engaged in. I didn't understand everything that was happening at first, but I think that was a personal problem because I can't always hear movies well.

I don't watch football too often, but I enjoy the full-contact action when I do. Football movies are great for that, because they cut out all the boring stuff from the games. However, this movie captivated my interest before the first game, with a compelling story of a city torn by racism and social revolution. This aspect interested me more, as the civil rights movement has been of interest to me lately. The movie also touches a bit on the Jesus Revolution, but only in passing.

If you are not religious, this movie could still be for you, as it is not overtly religious (in my opinion). Certainly not down your throat. It presents the Christian message in a way that is respectful to believers and non-believers alike, and then the rest simply shows how that message applies to the issue of racial healing.

I loved the portrayal of the time and location: certainly not perfect by any means, as Birmingham in 1973 was torn by racial divide. On the other hand, I love southern culture. So many things about it, including their hospitality. Growing up, all of our vacations were in the South, and it was nice to visit again for just two hours. And darn-it, I loved the choice of Seventies music. I still have "Spirit in the Sky" stuck in my head. 

Some critics have stated that the film was a bit formulaic, and too close to Remember the Titans. This could possibly be true, but I wouldn't know, as I don't watch many underdog sports films. I still found it to be a compelling story on it's own. There are many inspiring stories to tell about overcoming racism in the South, and we ought to tell as many as we can. We must remember our country's history, or we will be doomed to repeat it.

Also, after reading this review I would like to respond to a few things. No, I don't believe that Christianity is a "persecuted minority". Yes, a majority of the world identify as Christians. However, there are many flavors of Christianity, and even false Christians. It is not my purpose in this post to talk about what makes someone a genuine Christian, but I will say that the more evangelical, conservative, or fundamental a Christian is the more likely they are to be ridiculed.

The above article ends with "if you only respect the beliefs of other people who believe in the divinity of Jesus, what kind of respect is that?" The movie never disrespects another religion (to my memory). Respect does not mean that I must agree with you and accept what you believe.


But enough of my talking. I encourage you to go see it and form your own opinion. For those of you who have seen it, please tell me what you thought in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment